Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Winter Break - Part 1:Make It Count

We headed out of town for a little winter break last week. We started off with another ski day at Wisp. Again, I was cranky. I didn't want to go, felt like I had checked skiing off the list of things to do this winter and there we were, at the ski resort AGAIN. After our 4 hour drive of me being cranky, I finally put my big girl panties on and stopped complaining. Jared and Steve headed out for a few runs while I rented my skis and boots. This time I upgraded to an Intermediate skier and even got some longer skis. They had fresh powder from the night before so it would be a better day.

I text Jared to let him know I was waiting at the bottom of the run to meet up with them and got this reply...
The next thing I know there is an ambulance, ski patrol, and a few moments later a sled with someone performing CPR on a guy while they are being towed down the slope on a sled. They skied right by me... kids and adults all around were crying at what we were seeing. Directly after them came Jared and Steve. Apparently this man had fallen out of the ski lift just before they headed down the slope. While they were coming down they saw people shouting for help. The man's daughter, a doctor as well, was performing CPR. Someone took her aside and the two of them took over CPR until the ski patrol arrived. They knew he was gone as soon as they saw him.

It was awful. Surreal. It took me awhile to realize what happened... like midway through my second run I just started crying. I wasn't ok. J stopped and talked with me for a while. They see this all the time and I don't know how they deal with it. Part of me wanted to just quit for the day. The same part of me that had been grumpy all morning. But the other part of me felt different. Like I had to choose to enjoy this day. My grandparents haven't been doing well lately... two of them in home hospice care. And I am just feeling more and more the need to make it count, every day, everything you do. Because you really never know what will happen next.

I did awesome skiing each blue trail that day and didn’t quit on myself once. 




I had so much fun. We found out later that the man had died... he was only 68. He had had a heart attack on the lift before he fell. And although so very tragic, he was with his family doing something they loved. And because Jared loves skiing so much, I'm going to keep trying to do better. Making it count for us both, everyday.
 
 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...