Friday, July 8, 2011

The Last Launch

Today was the last launch of the space shuttle... EVER.
I am really bummed. Not only about not being able to see a shuttle launch one last time. But because there is no clear path for NASA, for space exploration at this point. I feel like I am stuck between the Apollo and Shuttle eras, not knowing what will happen next.

I was lucky enough to see three launches in person. When I was really little with my family, ten in 2001 my Dad and Uncle saw one of the last night launches. How funny is this photo? How young we all look!
And the last time was with Jared is 2002 when we drove from Blacksburg to Cape Canaveral through the night and got there just in time for the launch of STS-109.

I didn't realize how lucky I was each time to see such an amazing machine in operation. And now the rumors begin again about cancelling NASA's space exploration... lovely. In the meantime, I will just soak up my work. Love every day that I get to flash a badge to get into the NASA base and work in my lab, train astronauts, and learn new science.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...